We're now gearing up to deliver dozens of tree planting schemes as part of Big Tree Plant for the 2014-15 season.
Since the beginning of our Big Tree Plant project three years ago, we've worked with hundreds of community groups and schools to plant over 45,000 trees in Merseyside and North Cheshire.
We don't just deliver the trees. Our complete service includes supporting the project from start to finish, from the site design stages through to the planting of the final tree. All of our Big Tree Plant schemes are focussed on the community, which means that hundreds of people are able to get involved in tree-planting as part of the project.
In the last year alone, we've planted 6000 trees in The Mersey Forest area. Key projects this year have included:
- The planting of two new school woodlands at the Woolston Learning Village campus in Warrington. Pupils took part in a planting day to develop the spaces, which will be used both as potential Forest School areas, and quiet restorative areas for staff and pupils to enjoy. Read more about this story here.
- Year 3 pupils from Hartford Primary School, Cheshire all pitched in to help members of team extend their school woodland, as part of a project to improve their Forest School area. Read more about this story here.
- A school woodland has been developed at Haydock Primary School, St.Helens, again as the starting point for a Forest School woodland. The whole school turned out to help plant hundreds of trees there in late February.
- Pupils at Malvern School, Knowsley have been transforming their school field into areas of new woodland, with pupils of all ages joining in to plant small whips, larger standard trees, fruit trees and sow wild flowers.
- The Beacon C.E. Primary School in North Liverpool has been working hard with team members to create a new Forest School area adjacent to their school. They have adopted an area of green space next to their school which they have planted with mixed native tree species.
- Widnes Tennis Centre have been developing a new woodland alongside their academy. Read the story here.
We're looking forward to planting even more trees this tree-planting season, which starts in October.
Find out more about The Big Tree Plant in The Mersey Forest.