Field Lane Woodlands lie on the edge of the Field Lane estate, Fazakerley. It is a diverse mix of young woodland and grassland on an undulating landscape. The River Alt also borders the site's eastern end. Historical maps show that the current woodland's location was the site of Lime House (later Lime Tree Farm) between around the 1890s (possibly earlier) through to at least 1937. By 1956, the site formed part of a Royal Air Force Reserve Centre.
Only in maps from 1974 onwards is the outline of the present site apparent, with former RAF buildings having been demolished. It is likely that the undulating landscape on the site has resulted from the burying of the rubble from these demolished buildings. The woodland blocks on the site are likely to have been planted in the 1990s when a major Mersey Forest initiative carried out an extensive series of woodland creation projects on sites across Knowsley at this time.