A woodland belt identified as Meakin's Pits appears on maps dating back as far as 1894. However, the woodland only appears in 1927 in its full extent when a plantation was established north of the original belt, most likely, for wood production. Meakin's Pit was subsequently split into two woodlands when the M57 was built between 1972 and 1974.
This eastern side is the larger of the two and incorporates the plantation area, signified by the large stand of Pine within it, with a remnant of the original older belt running along its southern boundary. A pond habitat also lies in the south west corner of the site. The site is formally designated as a Local Wildlife Site owing to the age of the woodland and its wildlife value.
Meakin's Pits (East) is accessible via a public footpath from Pinfold Lane (past the farm towards the M57). It forms part of a network of community woodlands around Knowsley Village that offer extensive walking opportunities. Similar to other local community woodlands, the site is likely to have historical connections with the Knowsley Hall Estate.