The Sanctuary is Knowsley Village's largest community woodland at over 15 ha, situated on the eastern side of the M57 from Fluker's Brook Lane in the north and Knowsley Lane to the south, where it crosses over the M57. Formerly agricultural land, it is a young broadleaf woodland planted in the 1990s through a major Mersey Forest woodland creation initiative. The woodland frames extensive meadowland habitat that was formerly used by Landlife (national wildflower charity) for growing wildflowers for seed harvesting. Some of these wildflower species will still be evident within the site.
Two mature woodland blocks lie within the site, both being clearly marked on maps dated as early as 1850. Little Wood Lodge is a woodland block that was formerly part of Little Wood until they were separated by the construction of the M57. Together, they formed a private coach road between the Knowsley Hall and Croxteth Hall estates. 'Little Wood Lodge', a former estate building, lies at the eastern end of this mature woodland block. A brook runs through this woodland block. Admiral's Belt is the second area of mature woodland and lies in the southern part of the site. It is a remnant of a longer belt of woodland stretching south that was lost in the construction of the M57.
A walking route runs north-south through the site with entrances from Fluker's Brook Lane, Knowsley Lane and Croxteth Lane. The Sanctuary also has great links with walking routes and the wider network of community woodlands around Knowsley and Stockbridge Villages.